I'm Not Saying Kyle Wellwood Is Fat...

...but the Twitterverse is. Twitter, a public validation of one's opinion so long as it's kept to 140 characters minus hashtag space, occassionally vindicates itself with a good running meme joke and this one's a beauty.

It started yesterday with a Toronto Maple Leafs fan's blog mandate to take the good fight to Vancouver Canucks fans via twitter for the upcoming 'Nucks-Leafs tilt. The weapon of choice would be the hashtag #KyleWellwoodIsSoFat, referencing former Leaf/current Canuck Kyle Wellwood, with hopes of having it trending by Saturday. Consider it a success, as it was trending by today off and on. To their credit, Canucks fans joined in on the fun too (maybe something to do with the legitimate concerns about Wellwood's conditioning last season). Check 'Nucks fan/blogger Richard Moat's Twitter profile for a veritable onslaught of Wellwood cracks.

In reality, Kyle Wellwood is a 5'10" 180 lb. center for your Vancouver Canucks. In fact, rumor is he dropped 15 pounds this past offseason. But I suppose when you weigh as much as each Sedin twin while giving up 3-4 inches in height, the inches around one's waist may look a bit disporportionate. And while the word on the tweet is Wellwood = Shamu, frankly, I find he bears a more striking resemblance to The State alum Tom Lennon:



Given the running meme, I reckon we should let Lieutenant Dangle wear the short shorts. And in a final confession, I must admit that I did call Kyle Wellwood fat. Sorry, Kyle. But I'm a sucker to fall in line with the cool kids. Plus, I'm still bitter that I couldn't get #chriskunitzisahack to trend during last years playoffs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment